Field Hockey Suffers Tough Loss in Overtime

After a pressing first half last Saturday in Westminster, Md., the Frostburg State Field Hockey team fell to McDaniel College in overtime. The Bobcats held strong in the first half with a 3-0 lead, but in the second half McDaniel managed to find the back of the cage to tie the game. Frostburg dropped a 4-3 decision after going into overtime.

The Bobcats managed to put three goals on the scoreboard; once in the first half, and twice in the second. The first goal was put up by senior Jacquelyn Nava who then later posted an assist. After halftime Nava was joined by sophomore Molly Pickard, who scored the second goal, and freshman Meghan Hughes who scored her first collegiate goal.  Assists for these goals came from sophomores Cara Morrell and Lindsay Gardiner.

Early in the second half McDaniel made their appearance in the game, notching their first goal.  Just five minutes later, the home team scored a second time to close the gap, and in the 67th minute McDaniel scored again to tie the game and take the Bobcats and the Terror into overtime.

In overtime, the Terror was able to push the decisive score past the FSU defense early into the extra period, taking the game 4-3.

The Bobcats battled hard throughout the game, fighting with everything they had.  Playing against the Terror has always been great competition for the FSU team.

After the game, members of the team reflected on what went well, and what the players could improve upon.  Junior Elizabeth Davis said “We stood strong in the first half and beginning of the second, but let them slip by us for the better part of the second half and in overtime.  I think this loss will prove to us that the game isn’t over until the final buzzer goes off.  It will give us incentive to give everything we have for the remainder of our season in each and every game, until the final buzzer goes off.”  Davis brings a unique perspective to this game due to the fact that she was out with a concussion.

A tough loss is always something hard to deal with as a team, but Head Coach Carly Sweeney conveyed to her players, “Even though this wasn’t the outcome we wanted as a team, it opened up an opportunity for us to learn from our failures and to be even more prepared for our upcoming games.”

Freshman Megan Hughes posts her first collegiate goal, assisted by senior Jacquelyn Nava.

The team is ready to continue into the season with their heads held high.  They continue their season at the Frostburg State hosted tournament on Saturday, Sept. 10, and Sunday, Sept. 11.  The Bobcats will play Randolph-Macon at 12 p.m. on Saturday.


Previous post

Volleyball Ends Averett Tournament 2-2

Next post

Rocky Start to the Season for the Men's Soccer Team